Monday 21 November 2011

[8-bit] C programming directly to /dev/audio

My friend James sent me a link to this site yesterday. I have never actually seen anything like it - obviously being an old git I have heard all this stuff before - remember playing Specturm and C64 games in the early 80s? I used to program bits and pieces of audio on my BBC B Computer but it was almost as hard as Supercollider to do - without sounding good. SuperCollider does sound incredibly good by the way.

I've had a really fun day playing around with this stuff and it is making me want to pick up my K'n'R book again and get back into C - let's face it, C does not muck about - it gets the job done and faster than pretty much anything else.

I've just been playing around with stuff today and it has been hilarious - just changing the algorithm in putchar() is daft as a brush and you never know what will come out.

I was using the wrong sample rate to come out of it - but I think this, in itself, makes the sound evolve.

Brilliant fun.

As ever uploaded to my site - the last few things on the page - or at least, the above pic is a screenshot of the site, so I suppose that makes them easy to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment