Friday 11 February 2011

[Pd] Karplus Strong

I am currently staying in Bristol whilst doing the sound for the play Und and it just so happens that one of the people I am staying with is also a Pd programmer. He showed me the Karplus Strong algorithm the other night - I didn't realise it was possible to get such weird sounds from it.

I downloaded an example patch from the Pd tutorial website and added a metronome and a [lores~] filter to the original and added a very simple drum machine (ie [lores~] filtered [noise~] for snare and a blend of [noise~] and [osc~] through another [lores~] filter for kick. There's also a reverb in there for fun. There's also a random, string-ish [phasor~] based sound in there too.

Sounds like very minimalist techno, albeit randomised.

No comments:

Post a Comment