Monday 21 February 2011

[Gear] No Input Mixing


I bought a TEAC Model 2A mixer the other day from a local secondhand shop. It's a six channel mixer with four output busses, originally for use with a four track reel to reel tape machine, hence the four output busses - there is no stereo out - but each of the six channels can be assigned to any of the four outs so it is possible to get a six channel to stereo mix. Check out the weirdness of the ins and outs:


No XLR, no phantom power, no balanced ins or outs and all the outputs are RCA, which I am never a real fan of as I seem to be able to break RCA sockets just by looking at them - at least they are easy to replace. From what I have gleaned from various online rants they're cheap, noisy and nasty mixers but I kinda like it and haven't noticed anything really terrible about it.

What it works really well for is no input mixing which you can hear on my site: astrometria. For this I am connecting the line out from busses one and two to the mic inputs on channels 4 and 5 (the mic ins are set on attenuated - MIC ATT on this thing) to create a feedback loop and using the AUX out to send the result to my soundcard. It sounds like an oscillator from hell.

It's controlled by messing around with the master volume control, bass and treble controls and the channel volume controls, but what also works is using the output assign buttons which radically change the sound - fine, but why do the assign buttons for outputs three and four alter the sound too?! I don't really care as it means that I have the ability to change the sound without the sweep of using a pot.

Lots of fun!

BTW the pics on here are not of the mixer I have, but a rather better looked after one I found on the web - so all that gear you see beneath it isn't mine either. And I have the UK version which runs off 240V / 50Hz

No comments:

Post a Comment