Saturday 22 January 2011

[Blender] A First Look at Blender


I was looking for OSS video editing software and came across Blender. This isn't the sort of thing I would normally use and I've never done any 3D modelling before but I thought I would have a look at this app as it looked interesting.

I spent hours going through a very dry tutorial about how to create various 3D models, then happened across a tutorial explaining animation. Above is the result of playing around with the default cube object - nothing amazing at all, about as basic an animation as you can make in Blender but I was impressed by how quickly I was able to create it, even though I find the GUI quite confusing (mainly because there are so many different options and menus). 

I might well be revisiting Blender as a friend of mine wants some video back drops for his band's live shows. That said I think the bulk of this material will be made in Processing as it is possible to take audio input and create images / drawings that react to sound. That said it is obviously easy to create very sophisticated looking animations in Blender so I think I will be spending more time with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment